Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March: going out with lambs, lambs, lambs!

The weather today is not lamb-like; I left the ewes in this morning so the lambs don't get chilled in the cold rain we are supposed to get. While filling water buckets and hay feeders, I fell completely and totally in love . . . but more on that later! First, some photos taken two days ago:Inky, where are your babies?

Smart little lambies, letting mom's body block the brisk breeze!


Boys! (Actually, I've seen both little girls do this, too.) I would feel so bad for my ladies if they were freshly sheared and didn't have all that wool to cushion those pointy little toes!

I took some video footage of lamb races yesterday, but have been unsuccessful in uploading them (sorry, MiniKat!).

Back to this morning. Little Bramble looked interested in being friends, so I extended my hand to her. She approached and let me rub her chin. As my fingers massaged around her head, she occasionally wagged her tiny tail, and soon fell into a trance-like state of pleasure. Then - be still, my heart! - she laid down in the straw, totally trusting and enjoying the full-body treatment I was giving her.
Meanwhile, brother Blackberry was checking out my jeans and Muck boot:
Finally, Bronwen's curiosity got the better of her and she approached:
My three gorgeous gulmoget lambs!
Today is Butter's due date if she got PG from Braveheart's one-night stand. She doesn't look imminent to me, but I'll wait 'til the end of the week before getting excited for more Franjean lambs. Brava has finally developed a little udder which equals Butter's, so maybe they will lamb close together. Two small waves of lambs . . . not a bad way to have them!

Finally, I received this award from two dear blogpals, first MiniKat and then Sharon. I wasn't going to post about it, since it's given to blogs that "invest and believe in the PROXIMITY- nearness in space, time and relationships. These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement! Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers!” See that little line, "not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement"? How do you accept an award without appearing interested in self-aggrandizement? But when it came my way a second time, it seemed rude to ignore the kind gestures of these two ladies, and not pass the award on to eight others. When I looked through the list of blogs I follow, I realized I've had the fun of meeting nine of them (not counting my sister, neighbor, and the proprietors of two local yarn shops). So although this award is not necessarily for those with whom one has shared a physical proximity, these bloggers fit the other descriptions, too. Tina, Allena, Karla, Franna, Tammy, Donna, Lois, Shannon, and Tammy - consider yourselves awarded!

That's it for now at . . .

7 comments:

Donna said...

Wow! It's an honor to be awarded! It' a first for me so thanks!

Anonymous said...

Bramble is adorable! Thanks for the award. I look forward to seeing you and your pretty gulmoget lambs at BSG!

Deb said...

Your lambs are just adorable Michelle ~
Bramble has the sweetest face....they all do but how could you not love a face like that?

Dave said...

Love it when the lambs start "mom surfing" :)

Tina T-P said...

Thank you and thank you - the lambs are so sweet - I don't care what people say, the ewe lambs are cuter than the rams... & yours are very cute

Allena said...

Awww, thanks for the award.

Lambs are beautiful. I have found that when you go in there with all the babies and just sit down, they all can't help but investigate.

Egghead said...

Those babies are adorable. You should be called the "lamb whisperer".