Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hey, Ewe!

I'm going to be a sheep and follow the flock of shepherds' blogs in posting photos of my Shetlands' faces today. I can't say these are the best photos of my girls and boys, but it was fun trying to "shoot" them.
Here is Dinah, wearing her "bliss face." She is the first Shetland to seduce me, and I love her still. Can you see the little wisp of wool on the top of her head?
Maybe you can see it better here (along with her big, beautiful eyes); it reminds me of Longfellow's poem:
There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
And when she was good
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
(Not that Dinah is ever horrid. :-)

Brava is my Arizona ewe. She and Braveheart were flighty little lambs when they arrived, but she has turned into a quiet love. I'm hoping she's pregnant with her first lambs; I really want to see what she produces.

Eight-year-old Inky is my "grand old dame." I love her short face, and am eager to see what she produces as well. With her milkiness, polled genetics and scant age-greying, she has a lot to offer. We'll see how she does; I would love a set of lambs from her next spring from Braveheart after seeing what she produces from Franjean this spring.

My sweet, beautiful Butter Baby. She was such a love before she got sick; after all the shots she's still not sure she trusts me again. She's looking ragged and patchy from the break in her beautiful, trashed lamb fleece; I need to roo her and cover her.

Browning, Dinah's wethered son. He doesn't have the most attractive head so it's hard to get a good photo of him; I'm happy with this one.

Finally, here's Braveheart. His hormonal frustrations seem to have abated (along with the size of his nose). He bounces playfully at the end of the leash when I lead him to and from his turnout lot, as well as playing with his rope swing. Hard to believe he's a two-year-old ram!

That's it for now at . . .

12 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just love Dinah! What a funny little curl :-D

Heather said...

I giggled at Dinah's curl, too. I have one, too and have heard that poem all my life. I didn't know it was from Longfellow, though.
What does roo mean? And what do you mean that Braveheart's nose abated? Curious shepherd wants to know!

Michelle said...

Hi Heather,

Some sheep get a natural break in their wool, allowing shepherds to harvest fleece without shearing. This is how Shetlands were done originally, on the Shetland Isles. Without a cut end, the fleece is supposed to be softer, too.

As for Braveheart's nose, rams in "rut" - at least the Shetlands I've seen - get a swelling about mid-muzzle.

Claire MW said...

I think Inky is my favorite face today! She looks so sweet in that picture.

Dinah has a lovely curl. It makes me think of a song....someone's in the kitchen with Dinah (I don't know the rest).

Sharon said...

Shetland faces are so expressive!

Molly Bee said...

Awww! I want to cuddle them all. I am going to a farm next weekend to watch shearing. Maybe they'll let me cuddle a new lamb or two!

Michelle said...

Oh yes, Claire, I know that song, it's "I've Been Working on the Railroad." and I've sung it to Dinah ever since I got her. Actually, it has worked for ALL my sheep's names except for Valentine and Blanche, because they are the only sheep names I've had that aren't two syllables. (They now live elsewhere, so I can serenade ALL my sheep! :-)

Bridget said...

They are all so sweet looking! I wish I could pet them all (though they may be relieved that I can't).

ladyb1 said...

What beauties. Lucky you.

Donna said...

I am glad you posted the face photos too. It is hard to get good face shots sometimes- particularly from the friendliest ones. The captions are quite helpful too.
Thanks!

Barbara Tibbetts Chace said...

Great photos Michelle. I remember when you fist got Dinah. She's a beauty.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

All your sheep are just lovely. I love Dinah's coloring so much. It reminds me of warm caramel on a sundae. Yummy!

I'll have to go back in your archives and read more about what has been happening with Butter. But why is her fleece not salvageable?

Thanks for sharing your pretty sheep faces.

~Lisa