Friday, February 20, 2009

Doing its job, almost without fanfare

(Little windchime #1 on the south side of our house, with our bathroom and bedroom windows beyond.)

While I've been captivated by the crocus and wooed by the windchimes at the front of the house, around the corner on the north side the sarcacocca bushes have been exploding with fragrant little flowers. I must admit they had completely slipped my mind until I happened to look out a window to check on Brian today and saw them:
These evergreen bushes flourish in complete shade and very minimal care, and scent the winter air with their blossoms. The deer don't touch them. They are our seldom-sung landscape heroes!

That's it for now from . . .

9 comments:

Sharrie said...

Beeeutiful!!!! and we have a snowstorm to look forward to tonight.
Keep the flower pictures coming.

Barbara Tibbetts Chace said...

Thanks for giving us a peek at Spring!!

MiniKat said...

Lovely bits of spring popping up around you. We're about to get more snow. To paraphrase LOLcats, I R N-vee-us.

Molly Bee said...

I'm so jealous. 6" of snow on its way here tonight. Enjoy it!

Tina T-P said...

Oh, I love crocus most of all - it means spring is not far behind. Is butter the little one on your blog banner? That's who I think Violet looks like. Enjoing my "single" weekend :-) T.

Laura said...

Pretty flowers! Its snowing here in WI. :( Butter looks like she'll have a lamb to me.

Michelle said...

No Tina, the one in my banner is Dinah. Look one post down for Butter....

Tina - omme i London said...

The spring flowers are one of the most exciting events in the entire year. I love them!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Everything is blooming and beautiful!

I'm fearful for that to happen here, though. Last year our fruit trees bloomed in early May like crazy with bees pollinating busily.

And then at the end of May we had a snow storm and hail and freezing temps. Consequences from that storm were no apples, peaches or apricots. :(
So sad.
Up here in the mountains we can get snow all the way through May. It's not technically Spring until June. lol!

~Lisa