Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Of birds and books

Have I told you lately how much I enjoy our chickens? Well, I do. They are personable, pretty, and productive - what else could one ask for?

Speaking of birds, the other day from the car Brian and I saw a big flock of starlings on the power lines. Brian commented that starlings are pretty, and I told him they are smart, too, and able to mimic sounds, even the human voice, just like a parrot. I mentioned a book I have about a real starling who learned to talk, and told him we could start it as a chapter book if he would like. And so we have.This is one of my favorite books, a heartwarming story of real affection between one of God's less-appreciated creations and his human rescuer. I'm tickled to be sharing it with Brian. I've never been one to re-read books, no matter how much I enjoy them; sharing favorite tomes with my son may very well change that. Hurray!

That's it for now at . . .

9 comments:

Rayna said...

Oooh, looks like I might have to read that one!

Dave said...

I can't imagine never re-reading books !!! They have been some of my best friends for many, many years...

Laura said...

I love your chickens! I think i'll read that book too.

Laura

MiniKat said...

I love re-reading certain books. They're like old friends when I need comfort. Hope you enjoy sharing more books with Brian. I think I might see if our library has the starling story. It looks intriguing.

Unknown said...

I read Arnie the Darling Starling years ago and still remind myself that starlings are more than what they seem (thanks to that book). I'm glad you're able to share it with Brian.

I, too, seldom re-read books--there are always new ones waiting!

Sharon said...

I've held the same position as you all this time - so many books, so little time. Then 2008 became the year of re-reading. I'm not sure why it happened, but I've thought about some books that I've enjoyed but couldn't remember clearly, and after enjoying a second read of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I think every other book I read last year was a second read.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I originally thought Woodstock was a baby starling. I will definitely have to find that book - thanks!

Carol B. said...

This is great. I used to love to read to my son. And to hear his imaginative comments about what we were reading together.

I do have some favorite books that I have reread. Usually many years after having read them the first time. Sometimes being in a different stage in life makes me see things differently in a really good book. I may have liked the story, but missed some of the deeper meaning.

dreameyce said...

Sharing my favorite childhood books with Dea has been one of the greatest joys of motherhood. It was fun to go down 'the list', and find old books!