Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A little self-indulgence

Today on our way to town, I made an unscheduled stop at a nearby alpaca farm. I had stopped there once before a few years ago, but didn't find much in the little gift shop. Since then, the name has changed, the number of alpacas in the pastures has mushroomed, and I'd seen an ad in the paper stating the availability of everything from fleeces to yarn to finished garments. Lots of good reasons to check it out again!

The place is owned by a different family now, one that specializes in Suri. They had everything their ad said they would, and Brian and I enjoyed browsing and chatting with the owner. I had to buy 2 oz. of black Huacaya roving to play with, even though my wheels are sitting idle right now (supporting the local economy, don't you know). Although the animals themselves hold no appeal for me, it's very nice to have a local farm from which I can purchase alpaca fiber!

While this photo shows a peaceful scene, earlier a pack of youngsters had been racing round and round the pasture. I've never seen alpacas play before; it was a comical sight! They definitely run like camels. Speaking of camels, check out this video of a very unusual Pas de Deux. (Blogger won't let me imbed it; sorry. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnsWQ4kNG-w) If you're like me, you gotta see it to believe it!

That's it for now from . . .

4 comments:

Heather said...

Okay, that camel was incredible! Who'd a thunk?

Gone2theDawgs said...

I was sent that camel vid and I absolutely couldn't believe it! I forwarded it on to a friend of mine that has trained dressage horses and told her that was her next project. :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!!! What an intelligent willing camel....we are watching the Story of the Weeping Camel just now. This fits right in with my learning about these magnificent beasts. Do you think that a camel would guard my sheep?

Woodland Woolworks said...

I drive by those alpacas every day too - fun to watch! And thanks for sharing the camel video, egads!