Monday, October 06, 2008

Headway

Yesterday I made headway towards getting caught up, so maybe the bit of rainbow in this morning's sky was my "atta girl." I finished two newsletters, created color flyers advertising the wether boys, cleaned the bathrooms, did laundry, and made and canned a batch of homemade tomato soup.
Somewhere in there, wonder of wonders, I got to SPIN! First I grabbed a small sample of Bella's recently processed hogget fleece and gave it the "neck test." Granted, I don't have sensitive skin, but it felt nice and soft. Then I quickly spun up a single.Bella has a very long staple, making her fleece SO easy to spin - and spin fine, if you wish. It felt strong, too. I was pleased to find the roving pretty clean, even though Bella's fleeces contained the most VM (vegetable matter) of any of my fleeces because she went mostly uncoated. Bella is an Ag grey, meaning she has white and black fibers mixed together.There is more black in her lamb fleece; as you can see, her hoggett fleece is mostly white. This is still available at the pre-pick-up sale price of $2/ounce, since I don't have to pay the processor until I pick up the rest of my fleeces (and yes, I take PayPal). If you haven't entered my fiber contest, you still have time to do that, too!

I hope to find more "moments" to spend at my wheel this week, for I just learned today that it is National Spinning and Weaving Week (October 4-10).

That's it for now at . . .

8 comments:

Kara said...

Well done Michelle! My wheel is also a Louet and I love it.

Pamela said...

Sheesh....I didn't do much of anything this weekend. No wait! I did mop the kitchen floor! (pathetic, I know)

How do you spinning ladies do it? You all seem to be some kind of super women.

Unknown said...

i could not agree with you more Pamela on the spinning thing! I have a hard time remembering to feed myself after I feed all the animals:) Your post the other day was great Michelle!

Janet Roper said...

Beautiful pictures to highlight what sounds like a perfect day!
Harmony,
Janet

Gone2theDawgs said...

You're so organized! sigh. I get thrilled when I accomplish ONE extra thing per day!! Now that Bella is strictly un-coated I'm sure the VM will be a challenge to pick thru!!

Anonymous said...

Pretty rainbow, I used to do some spinning, I got a spinning wheel for my birthday one year but haven't used it much!

Michelle said...

You know, Tammy, I am happily surprised at how clean Bella's roving is! Of course, a lot of stuff fell out when I teased it, but obviously more came out when it was carded. A wee bit more came out while spinning, leaving very few bits to pick out AS I was spinning. It reminds me of cobweb, because it is soft but long and very strong. Her fiber would be an easy one for you to learn to spin with.

Windyridge said...

I like the bits of darker fiber in there.