Friday, September 12, 2008

Stash-busting, egg races and my "reading list"

I think I just dodged another "conspicuous consumer" bullet. I got an email sale flyer from Yarn-Paradise.com, and made the mistake of looking at the sale yarns. Of course, that got me thinking about projects I want to knit and for whom, and what yarn would suit each best. A black mobius shawl for me had just jumped to the #1 spot on my priority list, so that started it. (I got to thinking that I really need a wrap of some sort to wear over that hot red halter number when I'm not actually strolling down the aisle at my sister's wedding; savvy?) I had quite a load in my virtual shopping cart when it mysteriously emptied - for the second time. Thinking it might be a big nudge from the One I ask to help me do the right thing, I paused to consider what I have in my stash. I do have 5 3/4 ounces of a fine black chenille; that should do the trick for my shawl. Everything else was really more about yarn lust and buying frenzy, so I let it go. Whew.

"Beauty is as beauty does" the saying goes, and Morgan is proving it. In the seven days that our pullets have been laying, the score is one Easter Egger - 5 eggs, three Rhode Island Reds - 5 eggs (we HAVE determined that Morgan is laying the "pink" eggs). Now I have no illusions that the score will stay even once all of the Rhodies start laying, but I can't help but tease Rick a bit about his "superior layers" not being able to keep up with that "ugly" Easter Egger (his quotes). Well, not only do I think that Easter Eggers are more interesting and beautiful than the Rhodies, they apparently lay better as well!

Yesterday I decided to take advantage of a new Blogger feature and list all the blogs I visit on a "reading list." If you click on "View my complete profile" at right and scroll down, you will see a list of 94(!) blogs that I check in on at least occasionally (I didn't include a few that are either inactive or that I only rarely look at). Some on my reading list are more riveting for various reasons than others, but all are listed (in no particular order, instead of alphabetically like they are on my Dashboard) for you to make your own judgements if you care to. I do think this reading list will make it quicker and easier for me to see who has a new post to peruse - a blessing when one has such a big list!

Lastly, the pup is up! Yesterday Jackson had me a bit worried. He had no appetite for, interest in or energy for anything. His surgery site looked okay and he had no temperature, so we figured he "just" hurt. (My husband was less sympathetic to how physically traumatic this surgery may be than you would think!) But today I have my happy, active dog back. See?

That's it for now at . . .

3 comments:

Tammy said...

So glad to hear Jackson is 'regaining his composure'. They can sure worry a person! What is with the sticks? I swear they keep getting bigger and bigger. :-) Go Morgan go! I've always found the ameracuanas/easter eggers to be very satisfactory. They tend to lay earlier, and longer than the other breeds I've had, plus they continue to do well even unto old age. They are also very hard working hens, and will scavenge far and wide during the day (if they free range). Sounds like you are getting a good supply of eggs, anyway.
Tammy

Kara said...

Same wave length, I just bought a 60 inch circular today to start a mobius scarf with my hand spun.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Wow what a list...