Wednesday, July 02, 2008

There is no good position....

So much for hoping the "it" boys would be feeling better today!

It's been awhile since I've posted any knitting news. Here is what I finished last night:My third Baby Surprise Jacket is a gift knit made out of chenille. I finished knitting it on the way to Mexico, but didn't get to the seaming and buttons until this week.

I started this half-size version of the Himalayan Tote while in Mexico. I'm working on the body of a second one, then will do the i-cord handles for both and line them. They will make cute little handbags for my friend's Fijian/Indian daughters' Christmas gifts.

I still work on the Scarf of Miserable Yarn here and there; it's already a nice length and I don't have that much yarn left. Maybe I should make myself finish that project before casting on a lace scarf of this lovely stuff:The reds and blues and sparklies remind me of the Fourth of July; it has been so much fun to spin! I finished the last of the three bumps yesterday; now I need to wind it into a center-pull ball and ply it. I think it will be just as much fun to knit with as it was to spin. I also need to wash the skeins of my "spinning tutorial" yarn; there's probably enough of that for a shawl, not just a scarf.

Yesterday I ordered two knitting books from Amazon, Viking Patterns for Knitting: Inspiration and Projects for Today's Knitter, by
Elsebeth Lavold, and Knitting Cuff to Cuff (Twelve Sweaters One Way), by Susan Guagliumi. I rarely buy knitting books and magazines; the few I have contain more patterns and inspiration than I can probably get to in my lifetime. But I had put the second book on my wish list after knitting the side-to-side Sonnet and enjoying that technique very much. Then at BSG I saw a beautiful sweater in the fiber arts competition with the most unusual hem. I really wanted to learn how it was done, so I wrote down the creator's phone number off the entry tag and called her this week. The pattern she used was from Viking Patterns. Buying both books qualified me for free shipping; how could I pass that up?

Getting Shetland sheep was definitely a slippery slope . . . a very slippery, fiber-covered slope. Whee!

That's it for now at . . .

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Raspberry sherbet - that's the first thing I thought when I your BSG. It looks just that yummy, as does the yarn you're spinning.

Tammy said...

Poor little goobers. Hopefully they are feeling much more comfortable today. I had to take two into the vet this year to have wethered. They really did okay, I was surprised at how fast they bounced back.
Tammy

country girl said...

Beautiful creations. I hope the boys heal fast.

Nancy K. said...

You must have had your boys "cut". I tried that once and will never do it again. It took the poor things a week to recover and it was horrible seeing them SO miserable. I banded ram lambs at 8 weeks and they were grazing and in the lamb races the very same night. I'll never cut again. I tried both methods one year to see if there was a big difference...like I said: no matter how much people say otherwise, it was very apparent the the cut boys were in agony. While the banded boys hoped around and moped for an hour or two and then were back to normal...

Now, I just keep everyone one intact and anyone I can't sell will end up in the freezer. (I can't believe I'm saying that!)

;-)

P.S. I am VERY envious of your knitting skill in such a short time! You've left me far, FAR behind.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

poor babys :(

I have always banded, but dont have any to cut this year. We have went the same way as Nancy, they stay intact and if they dont sell the go in a freezer. I do have one this year that I should have cut, will probably have to take him to the vet as he is too old now to band...

Michelle said...

Actually, we DID band them, double-banded them, actually. Rick said it's good policy to use two, in case one breaks. Mine are acting more normal today; maybe it took them a bit longer because they were older than 8 weeks. It's hard to see them so uncomfortable, but like you experienced, Nancy, they are uncomfortable after "surgery," too, and you are left with a wound that attracts flies.

And my knitting skills are still pretty basic: knitting, purling (if I have to), increasing and decreasing. EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket is just knitting back and forth with strategic increases and decreases; very easy! Now Nancy, on the other hand, tackled a BLANKET! THAT'S impressive!

Mim said...

I tryed to leave boys intact till the fall and Donna our butcher lady couldn't get to them till spring. Huge mistake. I had too many rammy little guys all winter. All are banded (single bands) between two and three months old and playing again by the end of the day!
I like your little sweater too! The colors wonderful.