Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's cherry season!

Yesterday morning while jogging I got my first taste of this season's crop - yum! These are Royal Anns; the main variety grown commercially here.

It's strawberry season, too. While my in-laws were visiting, they took Brian and picked about five gallons of strawberries; we ate close to half and froze the rest. Last night Rick brought home 15 lbs. of fresh sliced strawberries he had ordered from a fundraiser, and we put most of those in the freezer as well. They go so well in frozen fruit salad along with peaches and blueberries; we like that with warm homemade muffins as a light supper.

Last night and this morning I took photos of Bevin, Bryden and Blizz to update my ads on the NASSA Sales Site. The boys will be "neutralized" soon, so will be available as fiber pets/ecologically-friendly lawnmowers. Bevin, shown in the top three photos, is a beautiful, friendly, square little ewe with a soft, consistent fleece and lots of wool on her poll and cheeks. Whether she and her twin Bryden stay moorit or turn fawn like their dam Valentine remains to be seen. You can't lose with either color!


That's it for now . . .

5 comments:

Tina T-P said...

Oh, those cherries look delish! My favorite is still the strawberries, tho, I think.

Why didn't you bring one of those beautiful fleeces to BSG for the wool show? T.

Michelle said...

With all that I had going on (Mexico, visitors, halter-training lambs), prepping fleeces was just more than I could commit to!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Nice looking sheep! Go see what I posted to my blog today, it is yummy!

Deborah Niemann said...

It's cherry season here too, and we also have mulberries. What are your plans for the cherries? They're sweet, right? (Ours are sour.)

Michelle said...

Deborah, we eat them like they're going out of style for as long as they last, and I sometimes can them in very light syrup. I've had them dried and they are quite potent that way; would be wonderful in cookies! We got a nice dehydrator for Xmas, so if I can find a good pitter, I might dry some this year.