Monday, February 11, 2008

Ram in the slammer, babes in the woods


Yesterday Rick helped me give all the sheep their CD&T shots and clean out the sheepfold. When he saw Braveheart harrassing one of his girls out in the pasture, Rick said, "You've got to get him out of there or he's going to stress your ewes enough to make them lose lambs." I was trying to stall until Willard got here to keep Braveheart company, but Rick's comment pushed me to action. I decided a stressed ram is better than stressed ewes, so this morning I kept Braveheart in and turned all the girls out to pasture together - including Bella and Brava. They got along great. (Below, left to right: Valentine, Brava, Rechel, Bella, and Dinah.)I love the above photo of all the girls, because it almost looks like a black and white photo that's been hand-tinted. And I love the look on Rechel's face in the photo below. She was quite lovey tonight when I put them back in the fold (with Braveheart ensconced in the inner pen), laying down beside me while I scratched her. And look at Bella's fleece! I'm tempted to borrow a set of combs to process it; between the length and the amount of VM (veggie matter), I think that would be the ideal method, even though I didn't like using combs the only time I've tried them.
That's it for now at . . .

5 comments:

A :-) said...

That is a beautiful photo! You should print a high res version and frame it. Your sheep are really beautiful and you're going to have some wonderful fiber to spin from them :-)

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I have a pair of combs you can try if you'd like, I enjoy using them very much and have used them on shetland, but I am enamored with my drum carder right now and the combs are in the corner feeling neglected :)
If I had a yard like that!!! Wow, very nice. I agree with ...the above poster lol, you should frame that, maybe even enter it into your local fair this year in the digital photo class. Very pretty!

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

Great photos! Bella's fleece looks a bit like Cookie's, a cross between primitive and modern. Since I don't like combs either, I suppose I'll wash and drumcard it as usual. I'm lazy, what can I say?

Nancy K. said...

I wish that I'd been able to buy Bella! I think she is SO beautiful. I really would love to have a grey ewe....

Sharon said...

She looks like she's smiling!!