Friday, August 24, 2007

State Fair report

After dropping Rick off at the Portland airport yesterday, Brian and I zipped down the interstate to see if we could make it to the Oregon State Fair in Salem in time for the Shetland judging. Happily, we did. There were lots of willing hands to help the four exhibitors show their animals, but Marybeth Bullington needed me in a few classes -- and Brian even got to show a lamb for her! I think ewe lamb Marissa liked Brian, and he did well for his first attempt. When Marissa placed second in her class of 19, Marybeth even let him keep the ribbon!
Marybeth's Shady Oaks Farm went on to win the Premier Shetland Exhibitor award for accumulating the most points. From the top, her sheep took top awards for Yearling Ram (who was also named Champion Ram), Ram Lamb, Yearling Ewe (who was also named Champion Ewe), Pairs (her yearlings, shown with the Premier Exhibitor banner), Young Flock, Get-of-Sire, and Flock -- WOW! (I think she won another class or two, but I didn't get photos of those.)

Congratulations also to exhibitors Tom and Tracy Livernois of McTavish Farm, Jack and Sandy Lyda of Honey Lane Farm, and young Quintin Kreth of Thunderhead Shetlands, all of whom brought quality stock and won some premium money.

I could see that my two lambs will be the small ones in their classes at OFFF, and quite a few judges seem favor the bigger Shetlands. But in listening to conversations among the breeders there yesterday (which echoed comments I've read on the Shetland lists, BTW), it is clear that some breeders think Shetlands are getting too big and don't plan to go along with that trend. May we find judges that reward quality over size!

That's it for now at . . .

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What neat pictures! And such nice looking sheep and exhibitors. :)I am amazed at how they keep such clean looking animals. My guys have hay, etc. all over themselves. Must be that "Pigpen" gene. lol

shepherdchik said...

WOW, a whole class of shetlands. I think we have the only shetlands for a couple hundred miles so a whole class of them at the fair sounds really unusual - but we are iowa rednecks here.

Michelle said...

Hi Becca, I just have to say that I see definite marketing advantages to having the only Shetlands in the state of Iowa. Shetlands are under-represented at the Oregon State Fair due to the five days that they have to be there; at Black Sheep and Oregon Flock and Fiber the classes can be HUGE! (There were 19 ewe lambs and 15 ram lambs in their classes at state, so you can imagine what I'm hinting at.)

And yes, I thought the sheep looked incredibly clean, too, Kathy. MY sheep aren't that clean!

Tina T-P said...

Great pictures Michelle - thanks for reporting on the fair - looks like you've got your helper trained for when you show your sheep now :-) T.

Sharon said...

They are gorgeorgous! And then there's their temperament and the best fleece on earth. One of the our guys from Mary Beth was best lamb at Lane County Fair. What a great time for you - if I knew how to type in green, I would.