Sunday, July 15, 2007

Oceans away

Just 50 or so miles away is another world - the Oregon coast. That is one of the things I love about living here, likewise southern California where I lived as a kid. Drive an hour or few in one of several directions and you are in an altogether different place. I remember weekend getaways to Joshue Tree National Monument (Gila Monsters!) and Baja (dune-buggies!), driving up the mountains to tube down snowy slopes, playing on the beach, and occasionally visiting theme parks (Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland, SeaWorld) and Tijuana (kinda like a trashy theme park).

Yesterday after church and lunch, we packed a picnic supper, picked up a friend whose wife and daughter are out of town, and drove to Lincoln City. At the north end of town the beach ends in a rocky promitory with lots of tide pools, and we were in luck -- the tide was out.

Taking time to play in the water, we made our way down to the tide pools and explored the accessible sea life.
We even climbed around the point to a "pocket beach" full of little agates and other pebbles, something I've long wanted to do. Not a place you want to get caught in when the tide comes in....

Before heading back towards the car and our waiting supper, we noticed flowers clinging to the rock face of the point (the "cliff" shown in the top photo). I'll leave you to ponder the parable in that image.

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Nancy K. said...

Awesome photographs, Michell!
Is that a real, live Jellyfish???

Lauren Dorsee Dillon said...

I thought it was a starfish? Great shots, I love the one bright shelled creature in amongst the dark ones. Everything in Michelle Land is stunning as usual! Thanks for posting about a different kind of beach.

Kathy said...

This reminds me so very much of our visits to NZ! We have spent many a time either on the Pacific side, or the Tasman Sea side. Usually they have to pry me away...I don't like swimming in the sea, but love it and respect it. Thanks for the cooling photos for those of us who are land-locked. :)

Crosswinds Farm said...

Now you have made ME jealous! You have reminded me of my family's roots in Cape Cod. We spent the entire summer every year camping at my grandparent's cottage and playing in the (cold) Atlantic ocean. I really miss the shiny pebbles, beach glass, and especially searching the tide pools for little creatures and shells...can't do that here in the Mississippi river :(. I guess I will just have to drool over your pictures (heavy sigh).