Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Still fumbling along on my first BSJ

My first BSJ was not as "almost done" as I thought it was a week ago. I figured the sleeves would need cuffs added to be long enough for my lanky boy, but when I pinned the top seams and had him try it on -- oh dear! The sleeves ended at his elbows!

In spite of my reservations, Brian declared he wanted a short-sleeved sweater, so I went to the LYS (local yarn shop) for some matching yarn to sew the seams. (No, I did not think to save some for this purpose.... I'm a newby at this, remember?) There the nice clerk suggested I lengthen the sleeves by picking up stitches and knitting back and forth. Doing so in the contrasting color might make it look intentional, so home I went with another ball of Jamieson's Heather Aran (used to be called Soft Shetland). After working on the whole sweater, the comparatively short row of the sleeve alone works up fast. Today I had Brian try it on again for length. Hmm, a couple more rows for good measure, then on to the second sleeve. If I work quickly, he may just get to wear it a couple times!
That's it for now at . . .

2 comments:

Franna said...

Michelle - Looking Good!! I like the contrasting trim. This is a pattern I have in my "to do" file. Maybe for a grandchild (shudder!) someday. ;-)

Tina T-P said...

Yes, I agree with Franna - Looking Good! (altho your model looks like he'd rather be doing something else) Great job - T.