Sunday, May 20, 2007

On a lighter note...

I think of May in the Willamette Valley as the iris month. Our own iris bed, a long, narrow crescent along the circle drive, is really doing well its second year (shown here before peak bloom).
Most of the bulbs were given to us by a neighbor, but I did buy three new varieties last year: a white whose name I can't remember (because I had none)"Batik" (because it's long caught my eye)and "Mohr Pretender" (because Mohr is my maiden name).
I bought my new iris from Schreiner's, which is the largest commercial iris grower in the U.S. Schreiner's also maintains the most gorgeous display gardens at their headquarters, located not too far from us. Nearly every year we've lived here we've made a pilgrimage to see the gardens, introducing others to the sight whenever we can.

Yesterday we took Nileshni and Karishma, who are staying with us again while my friend is in Fiji. They were predictably captivated, and I had fun photographing them enjoying the flowers. It was the perfect day for it, too, with hazy bright conditions.



That's it for now at . . .